SHAPE undertook stage 2 of the Swinburne Library refurbishment, off the back of the successful completion of stage 1.
The project involved:
- Demolition of the existing fitout
- Interior fitout including joinery, flooring, ceiling
- Amenities upgrade and construction of new café
- External building signage and architectural fins
- Level 2 western façade extension
- New entry on level 2
A key aspect of the exterior works involved cutting through an existing stair with a concrete slab beneath, to construct a new ground-level entrance to Swinburne’s Latelab. Extensive planning was required to manage these works, which took place entirely in an occupied environment. To maintain a secure and safe space, timber hoarding was erected around the construction area.
SHAPE also drew upon a wealth of experience working in live environments, ensuring minimal disruption for Swinburne University staff and students.